We are committed to giving our students the best education available to them and to continue to raise our standards, this can only be achieved through regular attendance. Therefore we want to assure you that by following these guidelines we are helping your child/ren fulfil their potential by ensuring that they attend the Academy every day. We value the support of our parents/carers and we hope that you will continue to support both the Academy and your child/ren by taking all holidays outside of term time.
The regulations are as follows:
· The Education (Pupil Regulation)(England) Regulations (2006) currently allow Head Teachers to grant leave of absence for the purpose of a family holiday in ‘special circumstances’ of up to 10 school days leave per year. Head Teachers can also grant extended holidays for more than 10 school days in exceptional circumstances.
· The amendments to these regulations mean that from 1st September 2013 Head Teachers may not grant any leave of absence during term time unless there are exceptional circumstances. Exceptional circumstances do not include family holidays, visiting relatives or friends, to be a spectator at sporting or other events, looking after unwell family members, baby-sitting younger family members, birthdays or shopping etc
· If parents/carers choose to take their child out of school during term time without leave of absence being granted then it will be recorded as an unauthorised absence on the school register.
· If parents/carers consider that a ‘request for leave of absence’ during term time is for ‘exceptional circumstances’ then a written request should be made to the Attendance Officer (This must be done by completing our updated Leave of Absence form which is available from the Academy or can be downloaded from the link below. When completed, the form must be returned to the Attendance Officer)
· Parents/carers who fail to ensure their child’s regular attendance can be fined £60 (per parent, per child). If the payment is not made within 21 days this increases to £120.
To download a Leave of Absence application form click here